a fig for care, a fig for woe!

Saturday, December 20, 2008

2008 Bullypicks

Damn this was a difficult year for making this list. Tons of awesome shit to pick from. Every time I listen to each of them I want to move them up to the top of the list. Here's what I came up with, using my usual arcane analog amalgam of audio astrology and alchemy:



1. MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
Favorite Tracks: "Time To Pretend" "Weekend Wars" "Electric Feel"

Bam! Pow! Zing! Easily the winner for the top slot, I have been playing this over and over again since it came out. They/he/whatever were also one of my favorite live shows in 2008.



2. Fleet Foxes - s.t.
Favorite Tracks: "Winter Hymnal" "Ragged Wood" "Your Protector"

These guys have outfoxed My Morning Jacket with their spacey country and stirring harmonies. I can blame only my own laziness for missing their ACL spot this year. What a dumbshit!



3. Vampire Weekend - s.t.
Favorite Tracks: "M79" "Mansard Roof" "A-Punk"

It's impossible to pick favorite tracks from this one, as they're all so very good. Played an excellent set at ACL complete with strings and plenty of bouncing pop hookery.



4. Land of Talk - Some Are Lakes
Favorite Tracks: "Death By Fire" "Yuppy Fu" "It's Okay"

A superb follow-up to their first LP Applause Cheer Boo Hiss. I hope I get to see them again in '09. Check them out if you never heard them. Elizabeth Powell is is one of my favorite female vocalists, and she can really wail on the guitar, too.



5. Portishead - Third
Favorite Tracks: "Nylon Smile" "Machine Gun" "Plastic"

Long time coming, very much not a letdown. I do hope they don't wait as long for the next one.



6. The Black Keys - Attack and Release
Favorite Tracks: "Oceans and Streams" "Psychotic Girl" "Lies"

Another band I really wish I'd seen at ACL this year, unfortunately they conflicted with Iron & Wine. I'll definitely be digging into their back catalog in the near future.



7. Santogold - Santogold
Favorite Tracks: "Shove It" "Creator" "Starstruck"

An excellent and varied mix of hip-hop and pop. Also one of the strangest album covers of the year.



8. Black Mountain - In The Future
Favorite Tracks: "Wucan" "Queens Will Play" "Wild Wind"

A mix of Black Angels' Passover and Sword's Age of Winter, that is, kick ass psychedelic nostalgia rock. So so glad to catch them playing most of the album live at a Waterloo Park SXSW day show.



9. The Constantines - Kensington Heights
Favorite Tracks: "Trans Canada" "Time Can Be Overcome" "Our Age"

Bryan Webb's voice is the highlight of this one really, but the songs are all well done and remind me of everything I liked about American Steel's Jagged Thoughts.



10. Deerhunter - Microcastle
Favorite Tracks: "Never Stops" "Agoraphobia" "Microcastle"

This one is destined to be a classic indie spin. Missed them at Emo's earlier this month but I'll definitely try to make the next show.

Honorable Mentions:
Beck - Modern Guilt
Blitzen Trapper - Fur
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
David Byrne & Brian Eno - Everything That Happens Will Happen Today
CSS - Donkey
The Duke Spirit - Neptune
Erykah Badu - New Amerykah Part One (4th World War)
REM - Accelerate
Shearwater - Rook
Neil Young - Sugar Mountain - Live at Canterbury House 1968

No comments: